Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The poems of Dylan Thomas.
"I bought it once when i was almost broke," she said. "Whenever I'm almost broke I buy an expensive book."
The Pisan Cantos of Pound.
"I stole that," she said. "I think that's the only moral way to get books."


...

She was reading Freud ( the red-covered Perma-Book edition of the Introductory Lectures) and drinking black coffee. She had returned to school. She was studying French. She wanted to read Rimbaud in the original.

...

extract from leo skir's 'elise cowen: a brief memoir of the fifties', taken from 'a diferent beat: writings by women of the beat generation'

...

today i wanted to ramble and not be a social creature so i wandered off by myself during lunch, took a peep at the white room at haji lane. cafe signs let me into bali lane but they looked lonely. i crossed the road to the coffee bean and tea leaf at hospital and read the newspapers while waiting for my sandwich order. i didn't want rice. didn't want cake. i might have liked a quiche. actually i just craved solitude. i like solitary lunches. faux pearls and dark blue jeans and orange slippers and a brown paper lunch bag.

...

my blue/black nike runners have officially deceased. while running this morning both soles peeled away and my light steps became plods. perhaps this is a celebration of having used my shoes to this extent. i wished it was not now because i planned to run every morning. and i don't like new shoes. the first few wearings are as hard as, say, new books, or the pen with the wrong ink flow - staggered, handicapped. however, thank God for music and mornings.

No comments: