Friday, May 10, 2013

Some Things

Today is Friday. Husband will be out with friends so I'm thinking of running to the beach and then getting dinner from the hawker centre. My eyes were a little tired so I removed my contact lenses in the afternoon. I must not be vain. It's funny how everything seems go better with short hair (for me at least), like my glasses, eyeshadow. Today, it's blue and silvery gray, collared shirts (I've missed my collared shirts. I didn't really want to wear them when I had long hair as it would look so messy falling down my shoulders).

I've been listening to the 'Lost in Translation' soundtrack at work. I'm not a big fan of the movie's plot and characters as I am of the visuals and sounds. I watched it before I went to Japan. Now that I won't be going to Japan for a while (we watch Japan Hour with a film of longing), the sounds are a sort of comfort, particularly the train station announcements, the ambient noise in the background (saying 'shibuya' in that way that you will only understand how to say in the Japanese way when you've been there, or 'shinkansen', pulling the 'shin' upwards with in sing-song). On and off I also listen to local musicians Kitchen Label for a similar effect. It's also good for writing - not too loud, not too wordy, not too narrative-like.

I'm itching to do things with my hands. Like drawing, or painting, or making, folding things. Or taking husband's film camera out. I've always wanted to draw my family and my family stories. I'll do that this weekend - to hear the mechanical 'click' and also, focus on looking into the lens and composing pictures. I think I just want to do more 'analog' things - like reading a book. I'm going to try to kick the habit of using the internet too much, being on it and looking for random things to read. Now that I have the time to be analog, I should.

Now that I think about that, running too gives me that sensation. The physicality of moving your limbs, the blood coursing through your veins and the ache after, smelling the crisp sea breeze. I think I also need to get back to swimming. I must not be afraid of cold water!

Friday's slipping away. In six hours, it will be Saturday. I look forward to not having to wake up early, to ease into the morning, having early conversation in bed with my eyes closed, feeling the layers of blankets with my toes, trying to remember a dream.

+ + +

A two minute later update: It is pouring so there goes my running ambitions. A hot shower and hot soup is the new agenda.

No comments: